Friday, May 7, 2010

How the Players Feel

Jamal Coombs-McDaniel and Ater Majok were at Jim Calhoun's press conference today. Here's how they feel about knowing their coach will be around for at least four more years.

COOMBS-MCDANIEL:

"It's definitely a good feeling. I kind of knew all along that he was going to come back. He's been telling us that. It will also help our team in recruiting for the next couple of years."

(was there ever a doubt in your mind that Calhoun would return?)

"I just know how much of a competitor he is. He loves the state of Connecticut, he comes here at 7 a.m. even though he doesn't have to, so I definitely knew he was coming back."

(did the long time without a new contract affect recruiting negatively?)

"Yeah, I think it did. Some of the guys -- if you don't know if a coach is coming back, you don't want to put yourself in a predicament where you sign here and you're stuck here, without the coach you wanted to be here."

MAJOK:

"I'm excited that he's coming back. Everybody else is excited, I spoke to most of the guys on the team. We've got the coach, we've got the players, it's just time to get in the gym right now, get better and get ready for next year."

The two players also spoke on a few other subjects. Both were disappointed in this past season, both from a team and an individual standpoint.

"It was definitely a disappointment for me," said Coombs-McDaniel. "Coach said I played alright, but I expected much more out of myself. Next year, I'm going to come back and be one of the best players in the Big East."

Added Majok: "It was a tough season. It was exciting, and I learned a lot from it."

When asked what type of things he learned, Majok paused for a moment, then said: "I learned a lot of things. First of all, I've got to get stronger. That's one of the most important lessons I learned, and we'll take it from there."

Majok will try out for the Australian national team in June. If he makes the team, he'll play in the world championships this August in Turkey.

Coombs-McDaniel noted that he's played with incoming freshman Shabazz Napier since he was about 10 years old.

"He's a prolific scorer, a great leader, a winner. He's going to come in and play hard, he's going to be a great player for us next year."

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shabazz, Atar,Jamal- what happened to Corny, Mike, Abro, Wes B, Toby, Chris smith. Do we just exist as fans and alumni to cheer on the little hessians? I will enjoy my high school season next year
Calhoun now is already older than Wooden when he retired and his behavior the past 2 years has not been great.

May 10, 2010 at 1:18 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home