Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Draft Notice

Jim Calhoun says he shot a 78 in Wednesday's Travelers Championship Celebrity Pro-Am, the best round he's had at TPC River Highlands in a long time.

He also believes there could be three ex-UConn players selected in tomorrow night's NBA Draft.

Stanley Robinson is expected to go anywhere from the middle of the first round to the middle of the second. Jerome Dyson could be a late-second round selection, and it’s remotely possible that Gavin Edwards could get selected, as well.

“I’ve talked to teams, and what I’m getting is that, probably like his career in many ways – with Stanley, some people love him, other guys, maybe not,” Calhoun said of Robinson. “Everybody conducts some of the questions, they’re not sure how focused he is in some of the interviews. He’s not the kind of guy who says, ‘Someday I want to be an All-Star and win an NBA championship. That’s not Stanley.”

The Washington Wizards, who own the first, 30th and 35th overall picks, are said to be interested in the 6-foot-9 jumping jack.

“He’d be a very good get for them,” Calhoun said. “It’s hard for me to believe that he’s not going to be motivated to play basketball. He has great obligations to his family, to his mom, and everybody else. I don’t know if he can articulate it … that’s probably his greatest weakness, in his interviews.”

He added: “If you told me he went as high as 14, I’d say, ‘Yeah.’ If you told me he didn’t go until the second round, I’d be surprised, because I think guys are missing out on a great talent. I’ve talked to Kevin Stacom, a good friend who works for Dallas, and he and I both agree he’s a top-20 talent. And once you get by four or five, you’re taking a chance anyways, so you’ve got to take a chance.”

Calhoun added that the Charlotte Bobcats, who currently don’t pick until the second round, have some interest in Dyson, and Minnesota likes Gavin Edwards.

“He’s got a chance: nice kid, can fit into a team,” Calhoun said of the latter. “They’re looking, sometimes, for a guy who can just fit in, eventually become a pretty good player. All we have to do is watch the playoffs … Shannon Brown, those kind of guys, they’re much better pros than they are college players.”

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home