Thursday, June 2, 2011

Calhoun: Decision on Retirement 'Will Evolve'


Jim Calhoun did a conference call this morning to promote the Jim Calhoun Ride and Walk, coming up on Saturday, June 11 in Simsbury. He's expecting about 1,000 participants -- hopefully more -- and plans to ride either the 25-mile or 50-mile course.

Calhoun says he's feeling great and that he's working out now at the level he was "about 25 years ago."

"My wife says I’m trying to ride my bike away from something called 'age,'" he joked.

We'll have more on the event later. For now, here's what he said about some issues involving UConn:

Calhoun says he hasn't decided either way on whether he'll retire or not. He said he'll tell recruits that ask that he'll be at UConn, but that few (none from the Class of 2012) have asked.

"The best thing for me to do, very honestly, is just let it happen," Calhoun said. "Right now, I’m doing everything possible to make sure UConn is as strong as it can be … I’m not going to set any more dates ... The best thing for me is to get as much distance from it as I can and … make sure the future of UConn is as bright as it can be."

"It will evolve. It’s just gonna happen," he added. "I’m not going to speak about it again."

*** Calhoun said he expects to add one more new player, possibly within "7-8 days." Otherwise, Ryan Boatright is expected to start summer classes on June 26; Niels Giffey is playing with the junior national team in Germany; Alex Oriakhi may try out for Team USA at the World University Games; Shabazz Napier is intending on attending Chris Paul's camp and Roscoe Smith will attend Amar'e Stoudemire's camp.

***The coach was happy to hear that Patrick Sellers has been hired as an assistant at Hofstra.

"I’m ecstatic," Calhoun said. "I couldn’t be happier for him. Pat’s good for the game, he’s a good person, he was completely exonerated by the NCAA. He’ll be good for the kids. I talked to Mo (Cassara) a great dal about him, and he’ll be a great addition to Hofstra."

*** Calhoun is hearing Kemba Walker could go as high as No. 3 in the NBA draft.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous xl pharmacy said...

I'd like to attend to that conference because he's an experimented man, I hope to get excellent information from there and then to spread it with my colleagues.

November 24, 2011 at 12:01 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home