Monday, September 24, 2012

Noah Vonleh: Indiana, OSU, UNC Recruiting Me the Hardest

Noah Vonleh, one of the top big man recruits in the country, has reclassified from Class of 2014 to Class of 2013. Here's what we wrote about Vonleh back in the early summer.

Here's a statement Vonleh released through New Hampton School earlier today:

New Hampton School student Noah Vonleh announced today that he has reclassified and is now a member of the Class of 2013. He will graduate from New Hampton School in May of 2013. A native of Haverhill, Massachusetts, Vonleh arrived at New Hampton School in the Fall of 2011 and reclassified from his original class of 2013 and became a member of the Class of 2014.

Regarded as one of the top basketball high school basketball prospects in the nation, Vonleh enjoyed a solid first year of play in the highly competitive NEPSAC Class AAA League and followed up with a stellar summer playing for the Mass Rivals AAU program. He also competed in various camps and invitationals, including the Adidas Nations where he earned MVP honors. Vonleh, who originally reclassified to 2014 to gain another year of physical, emotional, and athletic maturity, believes he is ready to make the jump to college.


"When I left Haverhill High after my sophomore year, I wasn't sure how my game would develop and how much I would mature physically and emotionally," Vonleh said. "I thought going to 2014 would be the best thing for me as I went off to boarding school and enrolled at New Hampton. My mom and I have continually tracked my progress. This summer we looked at things from an NCAA eligibility status, and it was easy. With one change to my schedule, an English class, I am able to graduate with the class of 2013."


"I’m ready academically. I’m more mature now in so many ways. I’m a different person and player. From a basketball standpoint, I’m working harder than I ever have. I’ve come a long way physically and emotionally since I arrived at New Hampton. After this year, I will be ready to really contribute to a top program next year. I’m in the gym every day, working really hard now to be ready."

Vonleh credited his mother, along with AAU coach Vin Pastore and New Hampton School coach Pete Hutchins, for helping him evolve on and off the court and guiding him through the process.

"My mother is a great model for me and she's helped me make a good decision," Vonleh said. "I love her and want to thank her for providing me with many things including stability and opportunity, and for showing me how to work hard."

Vonleh, who will begin to narrow a list of approximately 15 schools in the coming weeks, said that Indiana, North Carolina, and Ohio State have recruited him the hardest. He is not eligible to take official visits until early November when he receives the results of his first SAT. He was motivated to announce his plans sooner than later because he did not want to rush the process.

"I anticipate that it will change the way some schools recruit me, and it will make me have conversations with different coaching staffs about my possible role in their programs," Vonleh said. "I need to figure out who is interested in me now that I am in the Class of 2013 and where I might fit on their roster and at their university."

Though Vonleh is now eligible for selection in the McDonald's All-American game, he made it clear that his motivation to move back to his original class was ignited by a desire to challenge himself. He wanted to take the time to find the ideal college fit.

"I would love to play in the McDonald's game, but that is not the reason I'm re-classifying," Vonleh explained. "I'm ready because I have a different approach now. I have a better understanding of what it takes to be a great player and I'm more of a student of the game."

Vonleh, who only recently turned 17, will now have to count on an already hectic recruiting process becoming more intense. New Hampton coach Pete Hutchins believes that Vonleh has taken advantage of the learning environment at New Hampton, and thinks he is bracing for a terrific season for New Hampton, a school that has won six New England championships, produced six NBA players, and counts four graduates as Division-I basketball coaches and two alumni as top NBA executives.

"Noah is a wonderful kid who really has taken advantage of the opportunities he's had at New Hampton," said six-year New Hampton School head coach Pete Hutchins. "He has really put in the work in the classroom and on the court. He showed that he was an incredible talent last year, but he's come back this year with a new mindset. He's really transformed himself as a player and I see a level of maturity in him that makes me think he will be ready for success on and off the court in college after this year." 

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

“Congratulations David Borges! Thank you so much for taking the time to share this exciting information.”

athleticquest.net

March 14, 2013 at 8:42 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home