Tuesday, June 6, 2017

A little bit on new UConn grad transfer forward David Onuorah

Had a nice phone conversation with newest Husky David Onuorah this evening. What a thoughtful, respectful young man - as you might expect from a Cornell graduate.

Here's some of what Onuorah had to say:

(Why UConn?)

“I felt comfortable with the coaching staff. The visit was a great visit. I feel like they understood me and it was a good fit.”

* Onuorah visited last Monday-Wednesday. Only other visit was Georgetown.

* He sat out all but one game last season for "personal reasons" but received a waiver to play one more season.

* Onuorah was a teammate of Shonn Miller's at Cornell. Miller also transferred to UConn as a grad transfer, two years ago.

"I guess it just happened that way. I had no plan of that, it just happened that way. I’m thankful I had Shonn to talk to about his experience. I think it only helps to make the decision a bit clearer. It’s crazy, it’s kinda funny and cool. But yeah, Shonn’s awesome. He enjoyed his experience there. He had a good year. I was able to follow him."

* Onuorah hails from Lithonia, Georgia, the same hometown of current UConn guard Alterique Gilbert. Gilbert played at Miller Grove while Onuorah played at Marist School. Gilbert was in eighth grade and Onuorah a junior when the teams met, so they didn't play against each other. The following year, the teams switched regions and weren't on each other's schedules.

"I didn't really know about him until my visit, honestly. I don't think he knew me. We just had that connection of Lithonia."


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home